jueves, 31 de diciembre de 2009

What I learned this year




What did I learn this year?

I learned that human life is fragile, tenuous and easily broken.

I learned that the human body is an amazing machine; that diseases are incredibly disruptive both to the body and the mind; and that doctors have great technical skill, but so-so capacity to relate to their patients.

I learned that the theory that correlates behavior to character is wrong. Plenty of people behave badly once in a while, but it doesn’t mean they are bad people.

I learned that the best way to settle an argument is to find a way to defuse the emotional aspects of the dispute and approach things rationally.

I learned that absence does not make the heart grow fonder. It only makes it ache.

I learned that the best way to sell a house is to lower its price. I also learned that the best way to buy a home is to go with your gut.

I learned that jobs come and go. Unfortunately, these days most go and few come.

I learned that politics is like a marriage: when you choose your loved one, it’s all emotion and lofty expectations. Once you get married, the nitty-gritty is less glamorous, less uplifting, and it has to get things done.

I learned that being patient and not rolling your eyes in the face of stupidity are incredible gifts that come with maturity.

I learned maturity is overrated and stupidity underrated.

I learned that moving is a pain in the ass. And moving repeatedly can give you hemorrhoids.

I learned that when you’re sick, having family around can be the best of times and the worst of times.

I learned that envy and adversity may be great incentives for success, but if they are your only incentives, you will be sour and unsatisfied.

I learned that reality really is a show, and that fiction doesn’t approach reality, it improves it.

I learned books don’t deserve to be thrown away, and that the arrival of electronic books may save trees and preserve words for eternity, but will not replace the incredibly sensual experience of turning a page.

I learned that identities, be they ethnic, gender, social or whatever, could delude you into thinking that you belong. But we don’t belong to any group. We just are.

I learned that bookstores and libraries will die one day. And that we will rue that day.

I learned television and computers are addictive, that books are palliative, and that driving around on a foggy road in the middle of the night can be extremely peaceful.

I learned we don’t look at the stars. But they look at us.

I learned that this year was incredible. And that I don’t want another year like it.

1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!